Wednesday, October 10, 2007

reMEX

Just a thought...and before you all jump me, I have to admit that I found the general Betrayus ad fascinating...not for political reasons but the serious minds that played on the pun and sent a message based upon that.

And given the general uproar and press the ad generated, the movers' move was a success. Is that work in general an element of not just remix but also of serious design?

I think that remixing projects in general require guts and radicalnesss. Of course there is plenty of creativity too and know how but I think the ideology that informs the practice is a genre in itself. radical architecture? Who would have thought? cause architects bring things together in measured tones and carefully chosen mixes of patterns, of designs or colors. radical, I don't think so! However, if you have ever had to start over, certain material things cease to matter. You get a totally different perspective in life. doesn't matter if you are in Darfur, or Katrina; if your California home has been toppled over by a lansdlide, or your shack just went up in flames. Life has a way of reminding us, that there are things more powerful than we are. And it's our task tolive and let live.

2 comments:

Cynthia Haynes said...

I haven't actually seen the ad (I know, bad Cynthia). But I agree that the post-ad debate has been very interesting. But I'm not sure where your last comments are going, in terms of radical architecture. Can you talk more about that?

Josie said...

You have not seen that ad? Simply google Betrayus and viola!

At any rate, my comments on radical architecture are a result of my reading of one of the links you assigned us--radical reconstruction. This professor cals himself a homeless architect. That's the paradox I am grappling with! Now I gather this is the sort of project we'll be working on next. And for the life of me, I do not know where to begin.